Years ago I made some novelty sites with php/apache that used the subdomain to display different messages to the user, I decided to remake one of them using node and wanted to share how this could be done, it was much simpler than I thought it would be.
I have neglected to write for a while, have worked at 3 different jobs since my last post and things have finally settled down. I figured I would start back up with something pretty simple I did tonight.
aka My Cheat Sheet of Helpful Code
I created a blog post way back title Game Snippets I Always Forget. I put it up basically as a dumping ground for random game related bits of code I found myself looking up over.. and over. A few of them are a bit cryptic but that’s mostly due to me quickly logging in and pasting before Id forget. While now I have (most) memorized I figured I would revisit the article and add some examples that may help others out. The following are examples dealing with movement, angles, and directions.
In a few of my demos I’ve used 2d terrain. I love the effect and its really easy to do especially in 2d. The algorithm I use most is Diamond Square also known as Midpoint Displacement. What’s great about the algorithm besides its easy of use is that it can be used for simple 2d terrain as well as with 3d terrain. For now I will just be talking about generating 2d terrain, in a future article I will discuss how to use the same algorithm to make create height maps that can be used in turn to create 3d terrain.
This explanation doesn’t show any code more of just an overview of how to achieve a simple but cool looking effect.
I’ve seen variations this effect used in different places, one of the more recent examples I can think of is the loading screens from Red Orchestra 2. RO2’s effect definitely uses a different method than mine but it gave me an idea to try something similar. I ended up with a similiar effect using pixel manipulation, and a tiny bit of Cellular Automaton.
I’ve been furloughed from my job (government contractor) so I’ve had a bit of free time on my hands the last 2 weeks. I decided to start and hopefully in a reasonable amount of time finish a full fledged html5/canvas game.
The name of the game is Grapple Hero, check out a few of the wip screenshots.
If anyone has played my old js1k entry you’ll recognize the game play immediately. Your character cannot move any way but using his grapple. Once your grapple makes a connection you are shot up into the air where you need to grapple again or you’ll fall (sometimes to your death). I created a website for the game where you can play the most current demo build, which involves you trying to escape from lava.
I plan on releasing it on Windows, Linux, as a standalone executable, on Android via cacoonjs, on the Google app store, and Desura (hopefully).
Its also been added to IndieDB check it out 🙂
I was really hating my last design, so after saying I was going to do it for months I finally decided to redesign the blog. There’s a few things left to do like styling comment boxes, finishing the mobile version, and a few finishing touches here and there. My favorite part though about going to a design with so much white space is the ability to have some of my demos as the background. I will of course however be adding an option to turn them off for those of you who get distracted or think they are just plain ugly.
I finally feel like I can start writing some articles about my demos, games in progress, and everything else!
Wanted to share an interesting yet simple project I created the other day. It simply dumps Atari 7800 roms and displays the data via canvas. I’ve wanted to create a few 7800 games for a long time, but playing the games and taking screenshots to remove sprites takes forever, so I made a simple application to do it for me (for the most part anyway).